Author Interview: Amy-Brooke Odell
1. What inspired you to become a writer?
Reading! When I was a kid, in the summer I would load up with library books and spend my days outside reading. I have always enjoyed storytelling and dreamed of writing books like the ones I loved so much, but it wasn’t until my son was born that I actually built up the courage to go for it.
2. What's your favourite book of all time?
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I love it so much, my husband and I made it the theme of our wedding!
3. What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Don’t get stuck in fear. You can do it. Just get the story out, it can all be polished later.
4. What is the most frustrating thing about being an author?
For me personally, the technical side. Navigating programs and formatting.
5. What's your favourite movie?
It’s a tie between The Secret Garden and Tuck Everlasting.
6. What's better, dogs or cats?
Dogs, especially mine!
7. If money was no object, how would you spend your life?
Still writing, still spending my time with my boys. Maybe settling down with some land- space for a pond, gardens, trails. Definitely traveling a lot!
8. Do you draw from personal experiences when you write?
Sometimes personal experiences but mostly I get inspired by places close to my heart. Setting is everything to me.
9. What is more important? Strong characters or a strong storyline?
Both! I think they thrive off of each other!
10. What advice would you give to first time writers when submitting their work to publishers or literary agents?
Don’t give up. Keep sending your work and keep learning from responses. Tweak your query or your sample pages and keep going until you find that one person who will love your story!
Amy-Brooke Odell is the author of Wendell, for more information or to purchase a copy click here.